CTBA MEMORIAL FEST 2022
With COVID-19 in sharp decline, the CTBA is thrilled to announce we will hosting our Memorial Fest again this year!
Join us on Sunday, June 5th, at Oskar Blues Austin for an afternoon dedicated to remembering the 'grassers who came before us and making new memories with our friends and loved ones. Here's the schedule:
1PM: CTBA Bluegrass Jam (early start time!)
3PM: Duo performances from...
- Celebrindal Roberts & Chip Bach
- Bo Seamon & Chris Melas
- Chelsea Burns & Simon Waxman
5PM: Randy Collier & Grassland
The jam and performances will all occur outdoors, on the Oskar Blues deck. Of course, we'll be there to sign up new members, renew memberships, and sell CTBA merch - including a special new t-shirt for Memorial Fest! And Oskar Blues will be graciously donating a portion of the day's sales to the CTBA, so drink a beer (or two) for Bluegrass!
SAVE THE DATE: CTBA BAND SCRAMBLE & GARAGE SALE
Speaking of COVID-19 being in sharp decline, we are beyond thrilled to announce that the CTBA Band Scramble & Garage Sale - hosted by Central Texas Bluegrass luminary Mr. Eddie Collins - is back as well!
This year's event will be held at Oskar Blues Austin on Sunday, July 10th. Mark your calendars, details to come!
But...real quick...in case you don't know what a "band scramble" is... Musicians put their names in hats by instrument (guitar, fiddle, banjo, bass, etc...). Names are drawn to form bands. Bands have an hour to choose and rehearse songs. And then everyone performs! It is a BLAST, and we are thrilled to get it back up and running.
CENTRAL TEXAS REPRESENTS AT BLUEGRASS HERITAGE FEST
The Bluegrass Heritage Festival took place in Dallas on April 8th-10th, and Central Texas came strong this year! Let us count the ways...
(1) CTBA member-band Randy Collier & Grassland performed a really wonderful set on the main stage! Kudos to Randy and his awesome band.
(2) Former CTBA scholarship recipient Riley Gilbreath and his band Lone Star Blue played a great set, too!
(3) Central Texas dominated the instrumental championships! Austin-area residents took six of the nine championship slots (two went to your humble CTBA president...), and Georgetown resident Parker Jensen became the youngest person in Texas state history to win the guitar championship. Congratulations to all the winners!
(4) Lastly, in case it wasn't blindingly obvious, there were just so, so many of us at the festival. Central Texas came STRONG to Dallas. And the festival was a total joy. See y'all next year!
CTBA & OSMF
The 35th annual Old Settlers Music Fest was held in Tilmon, TX, on April 21st-24th. As always, the CTBA was overjoyed to be an OSMF sponsor!
This year, the CTBA sponsored the OSMF workshop series. We hosted four workshops:
- Max and Josh Baca from Los Texmaniacs taught us about the history and tradition of conjunto music.
- Chelsea Burns and Simon Waxman discussed the ways in which we get into bluegrass and build the bluegrass community.
- Ludiker House presented Kailee Ludiker and Brennan Leigh teaching us about Western Swing, past and present.
- And, lastly, Del McCoury and his sons...well, they played some burning 'grass and led a lively Q&A with an eager, rapt audience. It was something else! Check out the video on our Instagram...
In addition to the workshops, we had a table in the non-profit area where we signed up more than a dozen new CTBA members and sold a ton of CTBA merch. People love stickers, let me tell you what...
Thanks to Old Settlers for a great weekend, and for their support of the CTBA. We are looking forward to next year!